J.D. Pauerstein, Partner
- Email: email@example.com
- Office: (210) 244-8830
- Fax: (210) 244-8930
J.D. Pauerstein heads the firm’s Disputes & Litigation practice. Mr. Pauerstein has prosecuted and defended a wide variety of matters on behalf of businesses and individuals over the past 32 years. His experience encompasses a broad range of business and commercial disputes, including breach of contract, fraud, unfair competition, antitrust, and deceptive trade practices matters; disputes between partners, shareholders, and other business and professional practice owners; disputes involving intellectual property issues, including rights in trademarks, trade secrets, and patents; errors and omissions claims involving design professionals, lawyers, insurance agents, and financial consultants; and claims arising from non-competition and employment agreements. He also has represented parties in probate and estate matters, such as disputes over estate administration and the validity of wills.
Mr. Pauerstein frequently represents elected officials and others involved in politics and government. His work in this area includes advice regarding campaign finance and related issues; representation before the Texas Ethics Commission; defense of criminal and civil matters arising out of political activities; and representation in election contests and recounts and in constitutional and Voting Rights Act and redistricting litigation.
Mr. Pauerstein often works with clients to manage and resolve controversies before formal proceedings are initiated. In this context, he helps clients evaluate disputes realistically at an early stage and attempt to resolve them without litigation.
Selected significant matters include:
- Successfully defended San Antonio technology company in patent infringement litigation brought by subsidiary of Fortune 10 company
- With partner Ralph Lopez, represented owner of closely held business in securing defense verdict in jury trial of a multi-million dollar dispute with former employees
- Retained by a defendant four weeks before trial, after an adverse partial summary judgment had been entered, Mr. Pauerstein led a team of lawyers and obtained a jury verdict exonerating the defendant in an antitrust case involving the junior fashion apparel market
- Obtained a jury verdict in favor of cellular telephone service provider in federal court suit brought by former executive vice president
- Secured summary judgment completely exonerating nationwide engineering firm in multimillion-dollar suit alleging errors in design of complex water treatment plant
- Obtained a jury verdict in favor of environmental testing products company in suit for theft of its trade secrets, resulting in judgment for actual and punitive damages
- Successfully represented a family limited partnership in arbitration and litigation arising out of a venture to create an “e-commerce” company
- Successfully represented a major Texas political party and congressional delegation in state and federal redistricting suits, including approximately six weeks in trial
Education & Bar Admissions
J.D., cum laude, Baylor University School of Law
Editor-in-Chief, Baylor Law Review, 1983
B.A., with honors, University of Texas at Austin
Admitted to practice: Texas; United States Supreme Court; United States Courts of Appeals for the Fifth, Ninth, and Federal Circuits; United States District Courts for the Western and Southern Districts of Texas
Director, Texas 4H Youth Development Foundation
Life Member, San Antonio Livestock Exposition, Inc.
Life Fellow, Texas Bar Foundation
Advisory Director, Crosspoint, Inc.